Friday 18 October 2013

Newspeak

Yesterday, I went to see The Nottingham Playhouse Production of George Orwell's,1984.  Having read the book in my late teen's I was surprised how much I remembered, and also how much it has influenced and still is relevant today.
I took my husband who surprisingly enjoyed it.  We both came away wanting to talk about it so much, and he is not a "talker"! But we were for a moment 'speechless'. There was indeed so much to talk about but after weeks of reading and writing I felt like I couldn't unpick things anymore that day.  Still, we did go to the bar and start to discuss the play, we couldn't help ourselves.
So far during the MAPP course I can't believe how my language is changing.  I was aware how things can shrivel up; thoughts, words spoken  when you don't exercise them. That was one of the reasons I wanted to embark on this journey. In the play they talk of reducing the language crushing it, controlling it like everything else in the world of Eurasia. I could relate to this, as I can physically feel it when It happens to me; When I don't exercise or use it.  I also feel it when my choreography is not real, I am not embracing it.  I find that really gets me down.  I don't think anyone else would see it but I would know. So I am glad that I can feel and sense these changes in myself as the MA continues and it's only week 2!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the language of academia is amazing. Each culture uses a language that underlines its values. It is hard sometimes to translate to the vernacular. I am glad you are noticing the affect the module is having on you in general; where you are in it all.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete