Tuesday 4 February 2014

Metaphorically speaking


The coming together of ideas, questions and learning that is shared in our Skype meetings is so powerful and nourishing.  It also has been great to read through the blogs about our Skype. Mostly throughout our journeys we all experience and feel the same emotions; fear, excitement, confusion.  Another thing shared, are peoples light bulb moments, which are always lovely to hear about and encouraging. However when you haven't had one yet and are waiting in earnest  for it to come when it does arrive you have to write immediately as it is so precious.  I am hoping one will come again!

For me at the start of Module 2 I seem to be following my same learning style and structure as I move forward. To try to gather as much information to understand the next steps I must take. I keep telling myself it will all become a little clearer in the next few weeks just as it did before.  I remember Jamie’s  spider graphs/mind maps and Amber’s pile of books and we all had our own way of approaching the task in hand in Module 1. 

Books that I really connected with were:

Bolton, G (2010), Reflective practice, writing and professional development, London: Sage Publications Ltd

Moon, J, A, (2004). A handbook of reflective and experiential learning theory and practice, London: RoutlageFalmer

Rogers C, R, (1969) Freedom to Learn, Ohio: Charles E. Merill Publishing Company

And of course ANYTHING Dewey!

 

One thing I have found also is that key phrases helped me like a mantra.

“Get to the point”

“Are that many words necessary to make my point?”

“Show where the leaning happened”

“Bring it back to myself”

 

My latest helpful tool does seem to be the metaphors that we spoke about on Sunday.  The one that seems to stick are Adesola’s Salad (with spaghetti) that has helped me understand a how to put together the next piece of work.   I also think of circles so I have attached an Image from The Uncommon Ground: Land Art in Britain 1966-1979 (2014) (Exhibition) Mead Gallery Warwick. 18 January- 8 March 2014 .

As soon as I saw it I thought of Helen and her circles. It’s a good image to keep in mind although I would have them crossing over more and parts of the circles crossing paths.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great Mary, really helpful thanks for sharing these resources for others. Like the circle image, I always find that 'simplifies' or makes manageable most tasks, clear simple stages of action, always inter-related, the cross-over being the exciting part where things happen, that you won't know/can't see happening until all the circles join. Hope you're having a good week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Mary - I feel we're all reading off the same page in terms of our apprehension and treading through the 'black box'! However, this is very reassuring for me; whilst deciding on the salad ingredients and making sense of the recipes, I feel I have other chefs at work by my side!

    ReplyDelete