Thursday 18 September 2014

Today makes me...Thank you Summer

Looking back over the summer period I feel fortunate to have had the time to be a little more grounded in my thoughts with moments of stillness too having the chance to getaway and experience a change of scenery, climate and culture. Organically time has been on my side to ground my plan and to read my key texts and absorbing some of the literature has proved a valuable experience. I knew for me I would not be able to switch off completely but also knew I needed rest from full time work, family and juggling as we all do. Certain texts the reading flows and others are a struggle however returning to my research question usually sorts me out as I have had to be strict in not reading literature that leads me to get off the point i.e what I really want to find out/my research enquiry. We only have 3 months! The work of Anna Halprin has gelled together everything I understand ‘dance’ to be for my consciousness, my practice and pedagogy. Evaluating the therapeutic and creative aspects of dance in the lives of children within the dance class. As a communication and expression through embodied movement. My hope is that I can understand through my research settings and experiences and what this flags up within a children’s dance class. I decided to get my head out of the books and practically experience it for myself. I was quite scared of this, considering I spend my days dancing, teaching and facilitating dance to my pupils. This was a new experience for me and as with the MA and every module I have approached will changed me also. I finished work last Friday at 9pm got in the car and started my adventure to Folkestone (with a brief stay over at my sisters.) So I arrive at 9am and go straight to the beach! Just me myself and I and then head to the studio where I meet Lian Wilson who has been trained by Anna Halprin herself and danced on “The Deck” at Tamalpa, Marin County, California. Anna is now 94! The class was small, mostly non dancers, eight students in total. During the course of the weekend stories of our bodies unraveled and I witnessed some of the most moving and embodied dances I have seen in a long time. The commitment to each’s dance was very special and it has changed me or found me again? I’m not quite sure yet. One of the things that stays with me is something that was said by Lian the Tamalpa teacher that; “Our minds can trick us, but our bodies don’t lie.” This really helped me with the notion of embodiment, speaking through movement, listening and knowledge held in our bodies. I am also two weeks into my research. Three different contexts: • State Primary School • Special School • Private Dance School Already some notable things are being flagged up and sometimes when a child says something or moves the data hits you like a bolt of lightning. One boy in a group discussion was explaining that the reason he enjoyed dance was that he could be free. He went on to give an example of when asked to draw at school they always had to copy a painting or style and what he wanted to do was draw his own feelings. Another girl said (who has an abundance of natural resources when it comes to movement and dance) “Dance is as important as science!” On the other hand there was a boy who in week one explained he didn’t like dance. So I am interested to see what unravels there. Week 2 and with the setting and situation being a little less unfamiliar he did join in. There has been a great deal of excitement, giggling, shyness, happiness and even angry swearing so emotions are become apparent. I welcome them, which I think the children find bizarre too. I am really looking forward to connecting with the MAPP community again and wish us all a great term. Really happy we have the opportunity to connect via Skype twice a month also even if it be just to listen sometimes. There I’ve challenged myself!! Speak soon everyone. If you have a chance take a look…this is beautiful… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxpn8wOj70

1 comment:

  1. Such a great blog Mary full of exciting 'stuff' especially your weekend experience in Folkestone with Lian Wilson. You seem to be well on the way with your research and in touch with the children. I too am excited to hear everyone's experiences/questions etc during this weekends Skype session.

    ReplyDelete