Tuesday 23 September 2014

Global Networks...

It was so great to meet and connect with our MAPP community at our Skype on Sunday, and what a big one it was! I think Skype served us well. Particularly on the level of supporting each other, sharing thoughts and questions as we embark on our individual modules. It always amazes me how easy it is to connect and also how addictive it is at times. There are new forms appearing at a fast pace. Technologies changing rapidly and connections growing. Ken Robinson who writes on the subject of creativity, touches on how we are in the process of great change and our communication methods have gained rapid momentum; “Inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil points out that evolution of biological life and of technology have followed the same pattern. They both take a long time to get going but advances build on one another and progress erupts at an increasingly furious pace” Robinson (2001p.27) So I guess we may be at the point in time of the Dinosaurs now that analogue technologies are dying and we have reached a sort of amphibian stage. Who knows we might have Skype set in our reading glasses soon as we go about our business. I don’t think it’s far off. With Spotify (with which I have only just begun to understand) I can connect with 111,625 followers who also firstly want to ‘chill’ then acutely want to ‘chill with ‘tranquility with a beat’ what a crazy idea if you were to tell the fourteen year old me alone with my Sony Walkman! I find it exciting how our experiences have led us all to this one place. This mostly virtual place, and how our learning community of the ‘now’ is so fruitful to us. Our global network includes students that have connected with us from Dubai, The States and all over the UK. Giving us all the opportunity to develop ourselves our thinking and our pedagogies. We have discussed our commonalities; our dance, our module handbooks, our anxiety’s and our excitement as we move forward in time with the development of our research journeys or mapping out of whom we are and where our past learning occurred. I expect our passages to this point are diverse. I would like to see our journeys painted on a map of the world visually and colourfully drawn with zig zaggy lines all meeting at a final point, demonstrating our journeys from our first dance ever (where it took place) to the dance… our last dance or representation of our dance at the University theatre for our final viva’s. It may have been a slow drip urging you or a seed planted; a conversation with a colleague, an article in a journal or a search on the web that led us here to MAPP DTP at Middlesex University. Who knows, but somehow we have all arrived at this virtual place within and belonging to our ‘global network’ Decades ago we would have all had to physically have met in a classroom, Possibly moved city or town. I feel lucky… and wish us all a great term.

4 comments:

  1. Ditto to everything you've written Mary, such a great blog! The Skype session was a great way to start the term and 'pick up' where we collectively left off. Already so much happened in just an hours meeting time - incredible. I can not believe quite how scared I was of Skype in the beginning it's such a great way to communicate. I love your idea of scoring a map of the world for each of our individual dance journeys through to being a MAPPer - that would probably lend itself to another and much bigger subject to research!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Indeed Amanda I love images that represent something vast and are not what you initially see or think! My best friend is an artist and she always has to explain her work to me!! Clare Strand... She is great to be around when we get the chance and adds a new different perspective to my consciousness. She introduced me to a website that makes art our of data! usually quantative data charts and spreadsheets that sort of data... good to see data in an artistic way? In dance we do all the time. I have found a few great people to be around whilst embarking on this challenging journey another is a history professor who researches gang culture in central america, he is our neighbour, coincidentally his wife is a dancer and Mexican so they are great to bounce things off and chat through ideas.Great to hear of your research subject it all seems to be launching itself now? Can't wait to see whats evolving! Do you find your colleagues helpful with perspectives etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary,

    just wanted to say your blog was very inspirational. I did not catch you on today's skype as i was in the 11am one. I was just telling another module one how much i enjoy listening to the module 3 and 2 and what great advice and support I have received.
    I have found myself bouncing off ideas and it has really kick started my thought process.
    Like Amanda commented on your idea of of scoring a map, scaling the various pathways us mappers make and also the paths we may cross, which i suppose blogs could be responsible for. I think an imagery of some sort to represent this thought would work great as an advertisement for the course!

    Marie-Reine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marie-Reine,
    Thank you for your lovely comment. Congratulations on your new dance school too! I have my own so if you ever need a chat as it can be quite lonely working on your own with children! and I must catch up with you at a point about your experiences teaching dance within the curriculum. Speak soon hope its all going well.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete