Tuesday 7 October 2014

Answers or Insight?

Hi Everyone…It’s been great to read the latest blogs and they are flowing at a real pace now…Skype calls are rich in sharing and I sense a real support network forming. 

Rose’s blog was so great it is one I will revisit to remind myself, the essence of questions, and our expectations held in the idea of gaining the answers. To reiterate Rose’s blog; 

 “We don’t have to provide an answer…. learn how to ask better questions in order to gain greater insight and understanding” Payne, R. (2014) 

 These phrases resonate with my ‘present’ and truly I imagine absorbing them. I will make them my daily mantra over the coming weeks so they become my future! 

So I will come at the essence of ‘questions’ with a look at what we were expecting from ‘answers’. Questions can hold such an expectation that the answer would take us out of a place of uncertainty. An uncomfortable, in some instances painful state of limbo, not an ideal place to be? However being in that place of uncertainty doesn’t have to have negative connotations. It is impulse that drives us forward forming new questions and finer insight. 

 A question is my son a boy? Yes. Answered by fact …‘fact’ he is a boy. So a fact can give me the answer in some contexts. However with dance and our experiences of it intrinsically and contextually, it is ever moving, changing, evolving literally in continuum. 

 “The dancer oriented in time/space, somatically alive to her experience of moving.” Fraileigh and Hanstein (1999 p.11) 

 So fixed certainty just don’t seem to crack it! Would we be interested in it if it wasn’t exploratory … We are not looking for facts, more of a better understanding. How can we prove facts when our subject involves a human experience? And that is so diverse. In the act of research it is a continuous circle, 

 “New knowledge is always generative-questions lead to answers and answers always beget more questions” Fraileigh and Hanstein (1999 p.25)

Thanks for the blogs

Bye for now hear you in Skype

2 comments:

  1. When I went to a Fosse masterclass on Broadway the first ten minutes was lying on the floor we were told to know exactly where everything was in our body and to "Question everything" When we open our mind up to this I believe we have the ability to transform our practise and to navigate the unknown.

    Navigating the Unknown: The creative process in contemporary performing arts, published by Middlesex University Press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right Jamie...I seem to be questioning everything at the moment. In the Anna Halprin/Tamalpa workshop I attended that too involved listening to what my body was saying. It was so powerful to actually listen to your body. I didn't question it though, it led me, which was very empowering and freeing. It led me to the movement formed within my dance. I loved the freeness of not being bound by stylised learned choreography and I would like to know more about the scores and frame works used within the practice. It's very early days but I have been integrating some of the ideas into my classes. The work that has evolved throughout her whole life so very rich.

    ReplyDelete